Like a lasagne layers, this recipe is built. Lay of arugula pesto, baked soya chuncks, grated cheese, cherry tomatoes, roasted pine nuts.
The Soya chuncks are made from soy flour. You can buy them as granules, flakes, strips as well as in chunks.They are rich in protein, omega 3 oils, vitamins and a very good healthy meat replacement. Before cooking with soya chunks, immerse themed in water to rehydrate them and it’s ready-to-cook
Ingredients for the Eggplant
- 2 aubergine cut in half and without seeds
- 1 eggplant cut into pieces
- 1 cup of soy chunks
- 1 cup grated cheese
- Garlic sauce
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 small red onion
- 1 handfull roasted pine nuts or (other nuts, breadcrumbs,grated cheese)
- 1 clove of garlic
- salt and pepper
- Heat the oven to 350°F.
- Cover the soy chunks with hot water,Soak the soy chunks for about 5 minutes.
- Then the soy chunks are doubled in size and are ready for cooking
- Cut 2 eggplants in half and scoop out the center, leaving enough meat inside the skin so that it holds its shape when baked.
- Meanwhile, in a medium sauté pan, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the garlic, chopped onion, soy chuncks to the pan, and sauté until begins to brown slightly.
- Add the remaining chopped eggplant
- Fill the scooped eggplant halves with the pesto, then is the soy mixture, grated cheese, cherry tomatos, pine nuts.
- Place on an baking dish, and bake for about 30 minutes, until nice crispy!
- Top with extra grated cheese, arugula pesto and the garlic sauce and serve.
Ingredients for the Arugula pesto
- 3 cups of fresh arugula
- 1 cup of fresh basil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice (about ½ lemon)
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese or Pecorino cheese
- ½ cup toasted pine nuts
- ½ cup of good extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Blend all ingredients in a blender / food processor until smooth.
Note: Traditionally you make pesto with basil, parmesan cheese and pine nuts, but can you change the recipe by using different herbs or greens and a variety of nuts.
For the pesto I use the classic basil but in a small portion for the flavor. You can add more arugula or olive oil for the pesto if you want a thick pesto, taste and add extras if you like. Like any other pesto are a lot of ways to use for example with as:
Dressing, Pasta sauce, drizzle over fish, meat, vegetables, Top your toast or pizza, salads
Use the ingredients at room temperature and once ready put in a glass jar covering it with olive oil and refrigerate for about 3 days.