A VEGETARIAN DAY! STUFFED MUSHROOMS with SOY MINCE,,,For the vegan lovers, also a good optionIf you are looking for a balance with comfort food in those autumn days here something that can be a good option if a looking for,,,,,, like those big stuffed Portobello’s and delight for your eyes. I cook a lot with dry mushrooms strips, soya mince meat.
Soya mince, called texturized vegetable protein or TVP, is an easy to use and inexpensive source of protein. Soya mince is made from soy flour and may be left plain or flavored to mimic chicken, sausage or ground beef. You can purchase dried soya mince in a shelf-stable form or opt for frozen or refrigerated products. Frozen and refrigerated soya mince can be used as you would any ground meat product.
Treat soya mince as you would meat after rehydration. Refrigerate and use within a few days or freeze.
Ingredients for the Mushrooms
- 4large portobello mushrooms, stems trimmed
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
for the stuffing of the mushrooms
- 1 cup soya mince meat (rehydrate)
- 8 dry mushrooms or fresh (I chose dried mushrooms because of the taste that is quite strong than fresh)
- 4 potatoes, cooked and sliced
- Few cherry tomatoes
- 100g parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 50g cream cheese
- 1tsp cajun seasoning
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
*Pour boiling vegetable stock over 1 cup of soya mince granules. Cover and set aside for several minutes to rehydrate.
How to prepare the Portobello’s
- Preheat the oven to 180°c.
- Spray or brush a sheet pan with olive oil. Distribute the portobello mushrooms, stem side up on the baking sheet and brush or spray lightly with olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper and bake for about 5 to max 10 minutes
How to prepare the stuffing of the mushrooms
- Heat the oil in a large sauté pan over medium-low heat.
- Add the sliced onions,garlic and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the baby soya mince meat, increase the heat to medium-high.
- Sauté until just wilted, stirring continuously.
- Season with salt and pepper,cajun seasoning and set aside
How to assembly the Portobello’s
- Put the mushroom and soy mixture in a bowl and add the parmezan cheese, cream cheese, herbs and mix well
- Fill each mushroom with a large spoonful of the soya mince misture
- Carefully press the potatoes, chery tomatoes, breadcrumb topping and place on top of each mushroom. Sprinkle the mushrooms with parsley (chopped)
- Bake at 180)c for 15 to 20 minutes or until heated through and the breadcrumbs are golden brown and serve immediately,,Enjoy!